MA Dept. of Elementary and Secondary Education (ESE), Malden, MA.
Technical Writer Contractor through Eliassen Group, LLC, 8/2010 – Present
Currently fulfilling technical writing projects for the IT Department during the development, implementation, and rollout of new education IT initiatives.
- Technical/System Documentation: Document and release updates for data elements, required data file formats, validation rules, error messages, technical standards, and code resources used statewide by the Department, Districts, and Schools. Work with IT developers, data analysts, and technical help desk supporters to document front-end and back-end workflow processes using Visio. Participate with testing applications to help identify issues/bugs. Review user interfaces for headers, labels, and text that are clear, consistent, and meaningful.
- End-User Documentation: Write end-user documentation as new applications and tools are developed by the Department and readied for release. To date this includes user guides, instruction sheets, HTML Help, FAQs, glossaries, training materials, manuals, and an online video.
- Procurements/Proposals: Assist project managers with writing IT RFRs, RFPs, RFQs, and RFIs. Responsible for developing proposal content and managing the review and approval process from stakeholders in IT, Legal, and Finance. Edit content for technical, business, and budget considerations. Assist in developing, writing, and repurposing content, including developing diagrams and visuals to help clarify technical concepts. Extensive use of SharePoint to manage version control and documents for collaboration between content providers. Extensive use of templates (developed in Microsoft Word) that are complex, with many sections, sub-sections, multi-level numbering, field codes, and cross references. Manage work session schedules with content providers and help research information as needed.
- Business and Grant Writing: Assist the Department’s Business Manager and Fiscal Liaison with preparing annual and semi-annual reports for grant reporting to the Federal government using the DOE’s G5 application for submission. Responsible for writing the Executive Summary, editing content, document formatting, scheduling work sessions and keeping the writing team aware and on track for time-sensitive submissions to the Federal government.
Mosaic Oasis Studio and Supply, LLC., Arlington, MA.
Web Developer, 3/2010 – 12/2012
Freelance job to design and develop an informational website for a startup retail business.
- Setup website server hosting, designed and developed the site, conducted search engine optimization and keyword research. Developed a Flash photo gallery, an iContact email/marketing list form, a WordPress blog page, and optimized all graphics and content.
Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge, MA.
Technical Writer, 5/2008 – 9/2009
Member of small publications team within the Information Services & Technology Department providing technical writing services to the university community:
- Collaborated on a small team to revise and update two user manuals for new and updated modules of a SAP enterprise-wide grants management system (COEUS).
- Created HTML Help (Dreamweaver) for an online course management system (STELLAR).
- Maintained context-sensitive Help (Dreamweaver) for EHS (Environmental Health and Safety) and APR (Appointments Process Redesign) web-based applications.
- Authored HTML Help (Dreamweaver) for a MS Outlook Web Access 2007 rollout.
Z Corporation, Burlington, MA.
Technical Writer/Online Help Developer, 5/2006 – 4/2008
Z Corporation develops, manufactures, and markets hardware, software, and supplies for their 3D prototype printing systems:
- Authored user manuals (FrameMaker), HTML Help (RoboHelp), Quick Start Guides, Troubleshooting and Reference Guides for three 3D Printers, (ZPrinter® 450, Spectrum Z™510, and ZPrinter® 310 Plus), and two Windows-based software products (ZPrint™ and ZEdit™).
- Produced HTML content for the user support and product information website pages.
- Photographed and documented 3D printer usage, assembly, and materials application processes.
- Updated product label artwork (Illustrator) and managed Material Safety Data Sheet content updates and the approval/review process.
- Leveraged a richer customer content experience by linking web-based product information throughout the online Help.
Technical Writer Contractor (1994 – Present)
Worked as an independent contractor on a variety of short- and long-term projects at the following organizations:
MA Dept. of Elementary and Secondary Education, Malden, MA, 2010 – Present
Pegasystems, Inc., Boston, MA., 2004
Massachusetts Rehabilitation Commission, Boston, MA, 2002 – 2003
CertCo, Inc., Cambridge, MA, 2001
Fidelity Investments, Boston, MA, 2000 – 2001
MuNet, Inc., Lexington, MA, 1999 – 2000
Maptech, Inc., N. Andover, MA, 1996 – 1999
WSI Corporation, Billerica, MA, 1996
Zymark Corporation, Hopkinton, MA, 1995
Intersolv, Inc., Cambridge, MA, 1994 – 1995
Professional Freelance Photographer, 1990 – Present